Indian Spinach with Tomatoes
Indian spices and vibrant colors combine to make a delicious spinach dish. Vegetarian friendly.
- 2 pounds fresh spinach
- ¾ cup ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons chile powder
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes in juice
- 1. Wash spinach; shake dry and stem. Slice into 1-inch strips.
- 2. Heat ghee in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until golden and soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- 3. Add ginger paste and toss gently to incorporate. Stir in chile powder, turmeric, garam masala, coriander seeds, peppers, salt, coriander, and cumin. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 4. Add spinach and coat well; add tomatoes with 1/2 of their juice. Bring mixture to a rapid boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the spinach and tomatoes have cooked down, 5 to 10 minutes.
serving: 4 servings
calories: 467.6 kcal
carbohydrates: 25.5 g
protein: 9.2 g
saturated fat: 24.2 g
cholesterol: 98.4 mg
sodium: 1201.6 mg
fiber: 9.2 g
sugar: 6.5 g